The Gardeners gathered at the historic Grange mansion and the outbuilding stable for their first flower show of the 2012/2013 year. The Gardeners have a special relationship with The Grange in Havertown as this is our fourth year of gardening on this 10-acre site to help bring back a prominent property. The buildings were developed in stages after the property was bought in 1682. The remaining 10 acres of the 86,024-acre estate was purchased by Haverford Township for preservation. The community now enjoys gardens, woods and historic buildings in the middle of a very densely populated area. The Grange is an educational site for children and adults who enjoy camp for their children, honey from the bee hives and a place to get answers about gardening from the master gardeners who also volunteer. The community can look forward to an outdoor amphitheater that is slowly developing as funds permit.
The Hoffman’s were the last owners of The Grange before Haverford Township bought it in 1974. Mrs. Hoffman was an avid horticulturist and a member of the GCA. One of our members traces her ancestry back to the Hoffmans.